Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Onion Wine - Oil on 9 x 12 Canvas Panel



4/6/2009 No Longer Available

Onion Wine - I first tasted it in the late 1980s at a friend’s Spanish style home near San Antonio, TX. We sat around the pool had charbroiled steaks and sipped of Onion Wine served from an old southwest style decanter much like the one I painted. It was a wonderful afternoon and evening. Sadly both of them are now gone.

If you are wondering what goes into Onion Wine, here is the ingredients list. 1. 1/2 pound Onions, 2. 2 1/2 pounds sugar, 3. 1/2 pound potatoes, 4. 2 teaspoons acid blend, 5. 1 pound raisins, 6. 1/2 teaspoon pectic enzyme, 7. Wine yeast starter, 8. Water to one gallon.

If you want the rest of the recipe I guess you could check on the net or if you could find a copy of "Home Wines of North America" by Dorothy Alatorre, you could find it on page No. 63. I don't think it is in print any longer as I cannot find the publishing company on the net. I have a copy given to me by my old friends in San Antonio, but of course I can't part with it. Your comments are welcome.

No comments: