Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Dove Lane at Blackberry, MN - Oil on 16 X 20 stretched Canvas





Dove Lane at Blackberry, MN – I painted this from a memory of my youth. The west end of Dove Lane actually led to a peninsula of land almost surrounded by the Mississippi river. In this case the frozen Mississippi is on the right.  A view from MapQuest indicates that house and outbuildings are still there. I knew the family that lived there and went to school with their children; I won’t name them as I don’t have permission to do so. In those days the winters were raw, windswept and cold and I wanted to depict that in the painting. I hope I’ve accomplished that. Painting this one was very difficult for me as I don’t usually use cool tones and just wasn’t used to working with them at all. I also discovered that painting snow was not as easy as it sounded and found it difficult. I think I repainted the front left of the painting three different times before I was happy with it. Comments are welcomed.

russells.studio@pacbell.net


No comments: